Just because it’s not Fall yet, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy these bad boys!
Warm, comforting, sweet…what aren’t cinnamon apples?! Not only are they great on their own, but they’re the perfect topper for pancakes, oatmeal, and ice-cream. Cinnamon apples = ice-cream = SUMMER. See what I did there?
My favorite cinnamon apples were always from Boston Market – they’re SO soft and sweet, and as you can imagine, very high in Weight Watchers smartpoints. Not going to lie, now that I’m an adult I think they’re a little too sweet! Regardless, while they’re a nice treat every now and then, wouldn’t it be better to have a healthier alternative (a 0 SP one, to be exact?). Cue today’s recipe.
Believe it or not, the first time I tried making this dish when I was away at college. Across my apartment building was a Produce Junction, and my roommates and I would buy a huuuuge bag of apples every now and then. Well, one of those purchases my senior year turned into this apples & cinnamon recipe (and the rest was history). While I’ve tweaked it here and there, it’s pretty much as simple as it was back then; meaning it’s simple and inexpensive enough that a college student could do it! If only all recipes were that easy…
Low-Cal Apples & Cinnamon:
Time: 35 min | Smartpoints: 0 | Servings: 2
- 2 apples, gala or granny smith
- 3-4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 packet of Truvia
- 1 tbsp sugar-free maple syrup (I used Vermont’s)
- 1/2 cup water
- Slice up the 3 apples on a cutting board. I went with larger slices, but dicing works as well.
- Pour 1/2 water in a small pot, and drop the apple slices in. Begin the heat on a medium heat.
- Add cinnamon as desired & sprinkle on Truvia or a 0 SP sweetener. Stir everything together so the cinnamon and sugar coats all of the apples. Lid the pot and let them cook on a medium-low heat for about 25 minutes, checking in and stirring every 5 minutes are so.
- Once the apples are soft (but not mushy soft!!) drizzle on the sugar-free maple syrup. I only used 1 tbsp of syrup so it wouldn’t be overkill with the Truvia, but this too can be adjusted as desired. The beauty of 0 points!
- Enjoy hot, cold, alone or as a side!
Tag me on Instagram or shoot me a comment if you try this recipe! As always, wishing you a happy and healthy day 🙂